Tuesday, June 10, 2008

little big word

SO.

What a word, huh? Two rounded-edged letters, nestled next to one another so naturally and unassumingly, just as you might find a couple of skinny garter snakes lounging in the sunshine or a piece of seaweed coiled around a sand dollar at the beach.

So. I like that word. It often comes in very handy.

"So," just like that, at the beginning of a sentence, can alert a listener or a reader that a juicy bit of honesty is imminent. "So, to tell you the truth," or "So, what really happened is..." It's a highly efficient attention-grabber: somebody's about to cut the bullshit! (Usually me. I am honest to a fault when I write, much to the bemusement, I am certain, of more than a few recipients of letters from me.

...So.)

"So" can also signal -- or better yet, invite -- a conclusion, a bringing-back-around of the truth after a long, circuitous journey through a story. "So what I realized was," or "So, what are you trying to tell me?" In such an instance, "so" is a potent catalyst for culmination and closure.

And of course, "so" is one of the simplest yet most opulent adverbs of our lexicon.

"It's so hot out!"

"This sunset is so beautiful!"

"I love you SO much!"

"So," in such instances, can become "soooooo" or "*so*" or any number of emphatic variations on its emphasis-expressive theme. Sometimes there aren't enough o's or enough stars or big-enough capital letters to tell someone how very SO something is. I love it when that happens, when language fails us and renders us mute, positively unable to cram the grandness of the moment into these two curvy little letters.

In any event.

I wanted to tell you that I have been learning and growing so much lately. My heart has been opening so wide. I have been so showered with blessings. I feel so inspired. I am so ready for and receptive to the shifts that I am experiencing.

And


I


have been


eating


SO


well!


That's all, really.

And so to sleep.

P.S. Goat cheese on a ripe apricot? SO GOOD!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO! This is such a great piece! Honing in on the littlest thing that has in its power to make everything more - or less...
The one detail which can eradicate, or create, the total meaning...Life is but 'so'.....
I LOVED this entry!

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner